We were unfortunately not able to shoot the original photo in a studio setting, so we made due in the living room. Having a large space isn't necessary, as long as we have a space "large enough".
After many hours of finding the right stock photos and manipulating them to create the right atmosphere, we were able to blend the original photo into this composite beautifully.
This photo shows the room and from what position I was in when taking the photo. The ceilings were a little taller than 6 foot and the client and his drums were set fairly close to the walls behind him.
Here is the photo I started with. There was a lot of work in cropping all of the drum elements out and adding in the leg on the stand.
After cropping my client and drums out, we added in a wood floor, shadow, and a spotlight. A little dust and smoke was also added to give the image some atmosphere and here is how it all turned out.